How to Create a Photography Portfolio SiteThis article will explain how you can go about easily creating a Photography portfolio web site, so that you can show off the best of your photographs. The aim of this article is to show you how this can be done with the least amount of hassle, and without breaking the bank, using some free tools that are available with a Kualo web hosting account.
The Approach - WordPress!To build this site we are going to use a free application called WordPress. WordPress was initially created as a tool to make blogging easier. What many people don't realise is that this powerful tool can be used to not only create blog web sites, but also for an extremely wide range of other functions also. There are several key reasons why WordPress is a fantastic tool for creating web sites.
- It's free! WordPress is open source and free of charge. It doesn't cost a penny to use, and it can be installed in a few clicks from your hosting control panel.
- Google LOVES it. WordPress is insanely easy for Google to index, and generally sites that use it get well ranked - take a peek this article which gives 10 reasons why WordPress is great for SEO. Now there are a bunch of systems that create portfolio sites for photographers, but many of these use 'Flash' which is generally considered to be really bad for search engine optimisation (SEO).
- It's incredibly easy to add content. It was originally designed for bloggers to easily write blog posts, and has expanded on since then. Creating new pages, adding pictures - it's just about as easy as creating a Word document. And harping back to SEO, the more compelling content you add, the better you will rank in search engines - so this is a massive win-win!
- It's easy to theme! There's tons of free themes which will make it easy to set up your site to suit your image. There are also some premium ones with a small price tag ($10-$40) which might add that extra pazazz in how it looks, or add extra functionality to make it even easier for you to update on the admin side.
- You're not locked in! Say a couple of years down the road you want to refresh your look. You don't have to re-do the entire site from scratch again - in a few clicks you can switch to a new theme entirely, keeping all your old content! If your business has really taken off, could even commission a web developer to design a custom theme just for you, and not lose all that hard work that you've put into the site over that time! What's more, WordPress is not platform dependent - you can move it to any host you need, unlike some of the proprietary portfolio creation sites which cannot be moved at all.